|Program Name:||Academic Year Spanish Language Course|
|School:||University of Alacala|
|City:||Alcala de Henares, Spain|
|Term:||Academic Year (October to May)|
|Cost:||€ 5,070 / $ 5,450.76 *|
|Housing||€ 300 – € 400 / $ 322.53 * to $ 430.04 * per mo. univ. residence|
|Language of Instruction:||Spanish|
|Eligibility:||Open Enrollment, anybody can participate. No min GPA required, must have high school diploma. You do not have to be a college student to enroll in this Spanish program. You do not have to participate in a US study abroad program to enroll in this Spanish program. Minimum age 18.|
* Euro equivalent in dollars based on current exchange rate
COURSE DESCRIPTION – Spanish Language and Culture Course, Academic Year
The academic-year long Spanish Language and Culture Course consists of 600 class-hours of Spanish Language and Culture classes. The course is divided into 3 trimesters. Classes are held Monday through Friday. Participants in the Spanish Language and Culture course advance to the next higher level Spanish course at the end of each trimester.
The Spanish course is for participants whose goal is to learn to communicate effectively in Spanish in real life communicative situations, but who also have a deep interest in Spanish and Latin American civilisation, history, art, film and literature. Students will complete 600 class hours of Spanish for a total of 60 ECTS credits (30 US credits).
[**Budget Study Abroad Note. You do not have to be a degree-seeking student in order to participate in the year-long Spanish Language and Culture Course.]
The first session of Spanish classes takes place from 9am to 11am. Following a break, the second session of Spanish classes takes place from 11:30am to 1:30pm. The first session, Language and communication focuses on learning and practicing Spanish within a cooperative and contextualized framework. The second session, Oral and written skills, concentrates on extending the use of Spanish through enjoyable activities that effectively practice the four skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
The third session will vary according to your level:
- A1 (beginner) participants: since students at this level do not have a sufficient command of the language to attend classes in Spanish on civilization or culture, this session will be used to improve those aspects of language and culture they need most.
- A2 level (pre-intermediate) participants attend classes on civilization.
- B1-C2 level students will have four modules addressing specific aspects of Spanish and Latin American art, history, film and literature.
Spanish language levels are (A1 (Beginner), A2 (Pre-Intermediate), B1 (Intermediate), B2 (Advanced), C1 (Advanced High.)
- Spanish Language and Communication
- Spanish Oral and Written Skills
- Spanish Civilization
- Spanish and Latin American Art
- Spanish History
- Spanish Film
- Spanish Literature
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Open enrollment, anybody can participate. The Spanish program at the University of Alcala is open to teens, students, and adults. You do not have to be a college student to enroll in this Spanish program. You do not have to participate in a US university study abroad program to enroll in this Spanish program. Minimum age 18.
Alcalingua is the University of Alcala’s center for teaching Spanish to foreigners and for training Spanish teachers. It is located in the historic center of Alcala de Henares, in the old college of San Patricio or Los Irlandeses, a university college founded in the mid-seventeenth century which was dedicated to the study of theology.
It was created in order to facilitate learning of the Spanish language among foreign students. Over time, it has supplemented its academic activities related to teaching Spanish to foreign students to include training teachers of Spanish and publishing teaching materials (both in print and online).
- University teaching, which prioritizes training for competences, with active and innovative methodologies, according to the guidelines of European Social Council and the Cervantes Institute.
- Highly experienced teachers providing support and mentoring at a high level.
- Specially selected ELE materials.
- An assessment system that covers the learning process and the student’s entire work, and not just a final examination.
- A virtual platform for support and communication throughout the course.
Activities: Cultural and sporting activities are available
Housing: University residence
HOW TO ENROLL
Print out the application form and accommodation forms, fill them out and send them by mail, fax or email:
- By mail: C/ Escritorios, nº 4, 28801, Alcalá de Henares, Madrid, ESPAÑA
- By fax [00 34 91 827 16 16]
- By e-mail a firstname.lastname@example.org
You must also include a copy of proof of payment for your course.
University of Alcala Spanish for Foreigners
University of Alcala, Alcalingua Language Center